Forum

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Posts [ 8 ]

1  - 4 February 2010 20:51

I've seen a few but wondered if there was one that you'd swear by?

I've a 30" inside leg and am 5ft 11 is there a saddle height everyone of this height should have?

Same height as the cross bike? ive recently had that fitted from the shop i bought it from.

2  - 4 February 2010 22:18

Just go with what feels comfortable. Take an allen key out on several rides! I've tried might slightly lower recently, really slightly, pushing down with the heels is better.

3  - 5 February 2010 11:20

Start with the usual heal on the pedal approach, and then make small adjustments until you feel comfy.  Bear in mind, that for technical courses, you might want to drop the saddle a bit too.  Makes it easier to transfer weight about, especially off the back of the saddle on steep drops.

4  - 5 February 2010 15:09

Buy a Goniometer (£6-£8) from a medical supply store - it's just a big protractor to measure knee angle.

Get yourself on your bike and measure the knee angle (from hip through to ankle bone)when at full pedal extension.  That is pedal in line with seat tube NOT at the bottom of the stroke.  I actually use a black dry wipe marker and draw a line through my joints (actually my wife does!) Then it's dead easy to measure the angle.

Shoot for about 25 degrees.  I have found this to be perfect.  You can go with a higher saddle height than this - like down to 15 degrees but like Matt said below I have found my seat height being a touch lower is better, so for me 25 degrees is the ticket.

Next step is to fine a loving wife to repeat above steps whith all your bikes so you know your critical measurement is exactly the same regardless of shoe type, pedal, crank length etc.

Never had any knee issues since I use this method.

Now, you will all think I'm sad no doubt but I also recorded my leg movement on video while on the turbo and that's something I'd recommend doing as you can really see the diffence it made.  I kept adjusting until my foot was coming through the bottom of the pedal stroke parallel to the ground.  That was most comfortable for me and It's how I came up with my 25 degree angle.  Others may ride toe down etc but you can quicky feel the sweet spot and with the goniometer replicate it accurately on all bikes.  remember though if you change things your body needs some time to adapt, so don't go and change it right before a race eh!

I need another hobby, I've turned into a right nerd............

5  - 5 February 2010 15:28

The things we ask our wives to do. I've never heard that one before!

Sound advice though. Slightly lower but only a fraction seems to suit me offroad but it's slightly higher on my road and cross bike. I noticed that after a bit of running as well, over the winter, I felt my hamstrings tigthen up. My knees are all over the place though thanks to 5 operations and too many games of rugby.

Just so long as the video of your knees cycling doesn't go on for too long. Do you think it will make Cannes this year?

All the best,

Matt Lewis

6  - 5 February 2010 15:46

I'll keep that one private I think, it's not a great look!

7  - 13 February 2010 01:38

As far down as it will go, honestly some of the posts on here make me wonder smile

8  - 15 November 2016 17:38

I don't think there is a right answer here, it's what suits the individual. High seat (like road race height) is great for power but when long fast downhills are ahead with switches and fast turns then speed is lost because balance is poor. You can have fixed saddle height for a course you ride frequently but when it comes to a race you need to walk the course and if poss ride it first then set the saddle height to suit. If you're a slow and steady rider go for a higher setting, if you want to perform and compete then it's likely you'll want a lower height to maintain speed through tricky fast sections. Also get in lots of hill and gym training to strengthen your quads. A tiny bit of extra quad strength will make up for lost power by reducing seat height. Hope this helps and just like the other guy said, I do the same, ride a tool and adjust seat height accordingly. Keep riding the same sections and experiment with different heights and terrain. Better still, get a lot stronger in the legs and buy a dropper. Truth be told, it's fitness and ability that limits speed, not seat height or the weight of a bike at most riders level.

Posts [ 8 ]

You must login or register to post a reply

Gorrick 12:12 Torq In Your Sleep 2017
Advertise your business/event here »

What's New In The Shop:

Panaracer Tubeless Tyre repair kit

Panaracer Tubeless Tyre repair kit

XCRACER FORUM LATEST

1 Reply 306 Views Last post: Yesterday 12:16 by DavidCyryl
2 Replies 514 Views Last post: Yesterday 12:14 by DavidCyryl
2 Replies 279 Views Last post: 25 May 2017 20:22 by xcstu
0 Replies 80 Views Last post: 23 May 2017 13:36 by Murphy37