Forum

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Posts [ 39 ]

1  - 12 December 2011 21:23

I'm interested in comparing body types of XC racers. Please try and answer as many of the following as possible and we can get an idea if there is a general accepted body type ideal for the sport or if there is some variance in certain areas.

I think it'd be interesting if we get enough entrants to compare results.

I am recently looking to train at racing as in my other thread, so I will probably not fit any patterns particularly...

Gender - Male
Age - 25
Height - 173cm
Weight - 70kg
Body Fat % - 8%
Chest - 37
Waist - 31

For women the latter three will be vastly different but please suggest alternatives.

EDIT - Off topic... but does anyone else see my status as 'moderator?' :s

Last edited by Rankles (12 December 2011 21:28)

Please visit and follow my training blog for 2012
http://rankles.wordpress.com/
Comments, discussion and advice encouraged!
2  - 12 December 2011 23:16

I think we are all 'Moderators' I know I come up as that too.
Oddly enough we were discussing this the other day, XC racers tend to be tall and skinny, DHers tend to bigger and stronger, marathon riders look practicaly anorexic (sweeping generalisations there but you get my drift)
24hr racers come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Is this because 24hr racing is much more of a mental game than a physical one?
Would be interesting to see if our stereotypes are bourne out by reality. Why do you ask, just a general interest or some sort of study?

Blog and other ramblings http://andrewhowett.blogspot.com
3  - 13 December 2011 08:40

I reckon you get all sorts of body types on the start line of mountain bike races. It would seem they have a bit more muscle than roadies though. I don't think there is any one body type that is specific to the sport, it's about how much power you can produce. Look at Oli and Liam, very different body types, both top UK racers.

Male
193cm
76kg
8%
40 (i think)

4  - 13 December 2011 10:06

Male
183cm
82kg
10% sure that will be less by race season
42 chest
32cm

More quater back than stickleback

Corby
Derailed Racing

5  - 13 December 2011 10:37

Some low fat % there.

I've only ever had mine done on some of those dodgy bady composition scales (they currently tell me 13%).

How are people getting there's measured?

BTW
Male
177 cm
71 kg
Chest 40
Waist 31

6  - 13 December 2011 11:12

I went off the fat scales at the gym

7  - 13 December 2011 11:26

Gender - Male
Age - 41
Height - 181cm
Weight - 70kg
Body Fat % - ??
Chest - ??
Waist - 30

Tall and skinny, me. You see all shapes and sizes IMO, but obviously tending towards the lean.

I was 34 waist and 80kg before I got my MTB...

8  - 13 December 2011 11:31

And what is wrong with a 34inch waist and hitting the scales at 80KG?

Only kidding. I'm more like a 33 and half inch waist. Must be careful this xmas!

Matt Lewis

9  - 13 December 2011 11:37

It's more of curiosity. I have a lot of tests etc at the gym and the idea of spot specific body types is interesting because I get told that upper body size and strength can be detrimental to cycling in some schools of though and strength trainers say the opposite!

Corby the biker wrote:

Male
183cm
82kg
42 chest
32cm

Corby
Derailed Racing

Great example here, low body fat and for your height and weight id assume quite muscular hence quite a large chest. Do you find it affects your riding in any positive or negative way? Do you exercise your chest seperately to biking?

10  - 13 December 2011 12:11
Matt Lewis wrote:

And what is wrong with a 34inch waist and hitting the scales at 80KG?

Only kidding. I'm more like a 33 and half inch waist. Must be careful this xmas!

Matt Lewis

My wife says she'll divorce me if I lose any more weight...

11  - 13 December 2011 12:37

Gender - male
Age - quite old
Height - short(ish)
Weight - not checked recently
Body Fat % - definitely higher than anyone else so far
Chest - dropped to waist a few years ago
Waist - unknown

12  - 13 December 2011 13:16

Age - 16
Height - 5 foot 7
Weight - 47 kg
Body Fat % - ??
Chest - ??
Waist - 28''

13  - 13 December 2011 13:20

Great example here, low body fat and for your height and weight id assume quite muscular hence quite a large chest. Do you find it affects your riding in any positive or negative way?

He's too strong for his own good! Lots of power and a 'hit everything fast' attitude does tend to break a lot of stuff...  On the odd occasion his bike survives the experience he is pretty quick though.

Mine
Gender - male
Age - 30, so now offically old
Height  - 5'11"
weight - 10st2
Body fat - 7% but last measured donkeys years ago
Chest - 33"
Waist - 28"

Blog and other ramblings http://andrewhowett.blogspot.com
14  - 13 December 2011 13:29

There is wealth of information in the world of sports science about this sort of information. Ie typical power and bodyfat values required to perform at elite level / age groups etc..

In terms of your interest you would also need to know at least the category of the riders to add any value to the numbers given..

ie Fun - likely to be higher body fat etc..

I'm fat and eat cake...

15  - 13 December 2011 13:58
Rankles wrote:

It's more of curiosity. I have a lot of tests etc at the gym and the idea of spot specific body types is interesting because I get told that upper body size and strength can be detrimental to cycling in some schools of though and strength trainers say the opposite!

Corby the biker wrote:

Male
183cm
82kg
42 chest
32cm

Corby
Derailed Racing

Great example here, low body fat and for your height and weight id assume quite muscular hence quite a large chest. Do you find it affects your riding in any positive or negative way? Do you exercise your chest seperately to biking?

To be honest I've always been a bigger rider and find hills tough but as long as I can keep the big gear going get up them and even drop the odd lighweight wippet along the way, Kulhavy is a big lump at 75kg and also Filip Meirhagre was also a at 80kg monster regardless of the drug issues so I dont think in xc racing it really matters as you can always find somewhere on the course that suits your strengths.

Surely that the leveller in mtb racing as skill is also vitally important and your size makes no differance to that.

Corby
Derailed Racing

16  - 13 December 2011 14:43

Like it Boneyjoe lol. Glad you're sure about one thing.

Male
<10% at a guess or like Corby the Biker it should be when it matters.

EBM Erzgerbirge 5th 50+
Salzkammergut 211km 28th 50+
Riva del Garda 2015 8th 50+
Alpen Tour 15th 50+
17  - 13 December 2011 17:17

Gender - Male
Age - 16
Height - 178cm
Weight - 54kg
Body Fat % - 4.9%
Chest - 34
Waist - 27

Last edited by ollie51 (15 December 2011 17:50)

18  - 13 December 2011 18:15
ollie51 wrote:

Gender - Male
Age - 16
Height - 178cm
Weight - 54kg
Body Fat % - 2.9%
Chest - 34
Waist - 27

I'd get that body fat remeasured or call an ambulance to take you to maccy ds!!

19  - 13 December 2011 18:42

Gender - Male
Age - 27
Height - 180 cm
Weight - 76kg
Body Fat - Comfy (and getting more so)
Chest - 38
Waist - 32

20  - 13 December 2011 20:55

Elite cake eating athlete...

Male
Age 29
Height 186cm
Chest 38
Waist 32
Weight 75kg
Body fat - no idea and not really fussed.  I just eat healthily and add cake every now and again.

Last edited by GB (13 December 2011 20:56)

21  - 13 December 2011 21:12

male
chest 42
waist 32
weight 85kg
body fat, again unsure if i lose weight i feel weak so 85 kg is me

22  - 14 December 2011 08:07

male Master moving to Vet
Chest 36ish
waist 30/32
weight 74kg
Body fat 13% Just had athlete profile done

Same a chrispo not allowed to loose any more weight.

23  - 14 December 2011 10:47

Male Vet (just)
Chest 36
Waist 30/32
Weight 68Kg (target 63Kg @ 10%)
Body Fat 16% (measure on Tanita scales this morning!)

(Dropped a stone in the last year, still got another to go!)

Found the difference in losing a stone is immense!

24  - 14 December 2011 11:12
ghollingworth wrote:

Male Vet (just)
Chest 36
Waist 30/32
Weight 68Kg (target 63Kg @ 10%)
Body Fat 16% (measure on Tanita scales this morning!)

(Dropped a stone in the last year, still got another to go!)

Found the difference in losing a stone is immense!

I find this one pretty interesting as well. Same height as me, slightly lighter yet higher body fat and more potential weight loss. I reckon it'd be a struggle for me to get to 63kg but fair play! There's a lot of variation here which is good.

25  - 14 December 2011 11:56

Male.
Master moving to Experts for 2012.
Age 33
171cm
Chest 40
Waist 31
Weight 73kg
Bodyfat 13/14%

There seem to be some really low Body fats on here, may have to cut down on my cake intake as a recovery method!!

Phil Morris
XCracer.com

26  - 14 December 2011 12:20

Listing body fat % is pretty pointless to be honest.

Pretty much every method is unreliable with the exception of DEXA scanning which is the "gold standard". This uses x-rays at low intensity to work out the difference between bone/muscle/fat masses.

The difference between electric scales, callipers and the DEXA was huge. But they are have their place and so long as they are used in the same way then it is worthwhile to record increase/decreases, but no point comparing against other people.

Tanita scales are not accurate when compared against a DEXA scan, but they do closely follow the changes, so they are great to track changes but you can disregard the actual figure.

Last edited by mattpage (14 December 2011 12:21)

A Cycling/Pivot Race Team website. Twitter: @mattpage24
27  - 14 December 2011 13:49

I think advances in the caliber method have brought it into about +/- 2% of real body fat. The scales always come out hugely high for anyone with any muscle mass.

28  - 14 December 2011 16:23

There is so much more to making a person a good racer it's not funny. You will not find a 'typical type' I believe (although I'm nowhere near qualified in this field) and getting hung up on the right body type is just pointless (and a slipperly slope to dietary problems potentially for those who have body image hang-ups). The whole aim of this game is to go out and enjoy your riding rather than trade body fat figures. Having a teeny weeny body fat percentage will not make you a top XC racer if you can't handle your bike for a start.

The best way to see the variation in racers is go to a race and observe, you may come away suprised.

29  - 14 December 2011 17:18

36 - 24 - 36

30  - 14 December 2011 17:38

+1 for what EM is saying....

31  - 14 December 2011 17:41

+2 i was 86kg through the season, never felt my weight to be a problem, if  can do the same in expert as i have in sport this year i will say the same still!

32  - 14 December 2011 18:42
Rankles wrote:

I think advances in the caliber method have brought it into about +/- 2% of real body fat. The scales always come out hugely high for anyone with any muscle mass.

Calipers are probably the least accurate when comparing against other people because there is always the issue of human error or different people measuring it differently.

My personal experience of calliper measurements, when taken by a professional is that they are the least accurate of the 3 methods I've had done.

33  - 14 December 2011 23:03
Em wrote:

There is so much more to making a person a good racer it's not funny. You will not find a 'typical type' I believe (although I'm nowhere near qualified in this field) and getting hung up on the right body type is just pointless (and a slipperly slope to dietary problems potentially for those who have body image hang-ups). The whole aim of this game is to go out and enjoy your riding rather than trade body fat figures. Having a teeny weeny body fat percentage will not make you a top XC racer if you can't handle your bike for a start.

The best way to see the variation in racers is go to a race and observe, you may come away suprised.

That's actually kind of the point of this thread. It isn't to see how fit everyone is, it's more for my own ends because I have my personal trainer telling me one thing and my MTB coach telling me another in regards to how I should focus my training and diet and they are at odds with each other. When someone tells me I have too much muscle around my chest and back for endurance racing I need to know how to continue with my training in the best way for both!

The information here is leading me to believe I can continue with elements of both which is good. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone and if talking about stats isn't your thing then that's cool but there are other threads!

34  - 14 December 2011 23:06

horses for courses

35  - 15 December 2011 12:54
Rankles wrote:

I have my personal trainer telling me one thing and my MTB coach telling me another in regards to how I should focus my training and diet and they are at odds with each other. When someone tells me I have too much muscle around my chest and back for endurance racing I need to know how to continue with my training in the best way for both!

OK, I'm only guessing here but from posts you've made it sounds like you're doing some sort of body building exercise and I'm guessing you have the personal trainer for this? Then you've got the mtb'ing and a coach.

Different sports have very different requirements hence the conflicting advice you may be getting. You need to make a decision on what is your priority sport and accept a hit on the other. You then need to make it clear to your coaches what your aims/priorities are, maybe even get them talking together if this is possible, in order to come up with a plan that suits you and your overall aims and doesn't leave you confused. If you try and concentrate on both 100% of the time you'll likely end up weak in both.

People may have mentioned this before but for mtb'ing, Joe Friels MTB Riders Training Bible is a very good source of information regarding training/nutrition and various other topics for this sport. If you do want to get serious about the mtb I'd recommend a read.

36  - 15 December 2011 14:32

Great post EM. Spot on.

37  - 15 December 2011 15:38
Em wrote:
Rankles wrote:

I have my personal trainer telling me one thing and my MTB coach telling me another in regards to how I should focus my training and diet and they are at odds with each other. When someone tells me I have too much muscle around my chest and back for endurance racing I need to know how to continue with my training in the best way for both!

OK, I'm only guessing here but from posts you've made it sounds like you're doing some sort of body building exercise and I'm guessing you have the personal trainer for this? Then you've got the mtb'ing and a coach.

Different sports have very different requirements hence the conflicting advice you may be getting. You need to make a decision on what is your priority sport and accept a hit on the other. You then need to make it clear to your coaches what your aims/priorities are, maybe even get them talking together if this is possible, in order to come up with a plan that suits you and your overall aims and doesn't leave you confused. If you try and concentrate on both 100% of the time you'll likely end up weak in both.

People may have mentioned this before but for mtb'ing, Joe Friels MTB Riders Training Bible is a very good source of information regarding training/nutrition and various other topics for this sport. If you do want to get serious about the mtb I'd recommend a read.

Thanks for the advice. I'm working my way through the training bible and it's got a lot of great information in there. I'm pretty confident I haven't gone too far in one direction to be of detriment to the other yet so I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I'm going to work with the time crunched cyclist program in January and see how the year goes with some open events.

Hopefully I'll learn enough from that to make a more difficult decision for next year!

38  - 10 March 2017 03:09

Wow, what kind of brand body weight scales do you use?

Last edited by bellydavid (14 March 2017 07:49)

39  - 10 March 2017 20:50

you're all short and light.... i'll sit on 190cm and between 87kgs and 90kgs and i used to do reasonably well - never ending climbs maybe not as one speed but a good old power course and not an issue. Throws the course type into the mix

Something like or Gorrick or Thetford were perfect

Posts [ 39 ]

You must login or register to post a reply

Offroad Hot Challenge
Advertise your business/event here »

XCRACER FORUM LATEST

0 Replies 48 Views Last post: Yesterday 13:18 by frazer72
0 Replies 77 Views Last post: 21 March 2017 07:24 by Quintet100

FS Pivot 429c Frame

by jonelli
1 Reply 196 Views Last post: 17 March 2017 18:53 by jonelli
0 Replies 112 Views Last post: 14 March 2017 13:18 by Jms1