Forum

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Posts [ 22 ]

1  - 4 January 2012 16:21

Just about to get this years rubber sorted out for the XC season
Was considering the 2.2 Conti X-kings race sport versions as have run Rocket rons in the past in a UST version
Now have stans rims so hoping to use the non ust version now which has significant weight savings but after some opinions as to the grip and durability between the two tyres from people who have used both??

Mark Price
Hope XC 2010 4th O/A Wk-end warrior
Dyfi Enduro 2010 53rd O/A
Mids XC Rd3 2010 12th open
2  - 4 January 2012 16:48

I have a standard Ron on the front and a XKing RS on the back, both set up tubeless. The Ron has not put a foot wrong, very grippy and low rolling resistance and very easy to mount. The XKing still hasn't sealed properly (I put it on in July I think) and still has stans solution seeping from the sidewalls. I dont think it grips as well as the Ron either and feels quite draggy. I would replace the conti with another Ron if I could afford it.

Last edited by tomjward2 (4 January 2012 16:49)

3  - 4 January 2012 17:16

Rocket ron 2.25 front & rear in the dry

Rocket ron 2.00 front & rear in the wet

I've tried lots of different combos and this is the one for sure

4  - 4 January 2012 18:13

Did my first tubeless season on Stans rims last year.  Ended up switching from Rons to Ralphs, as I felt the Rons set up tubeless had just too much drag, while grip of the Ralphs was much improved when tubeless.  It was pretty dry for most of my races though, and I'd definitely still opt for the Rons in wet & muddy conditions (or at least go for the classic grippy front, slick rear combo).

No probs with durability here (including the Kielder 100 on standard Ralphs), though what I would say is that the new Pacestar Schwalbe tyres are a real bugger to get over the rim!  Would advise using some sealant as lube, or getting some of the easy fit liquid advertised here, and even then you'll probably need to use tyre levers to get the tyre bead over the rim.  Seals really well though once the tyre is in place.

5  - 5 January 2012 09:39

Sorry to be controversial but after a bit of testing the above and some others I find X-King RS's great for front and rear, the ultimate grip isn't quite as high as the RR's but they are a lot more progressive so they feel nice and lively but still stable. They do take little bit of time to seal but I've thankfully not had the problems that Tom has.

If it makes a difference I'm using them on a 26" Epic.

6  - 6 January 2012 13:09

All comes down to personal preference with tyres so what one person likes, you may not.

Only used 2.1 non-UST Rons front and rear, however love them and will only change to either Ralph/Nic if conditions really call for it. Probably would never run a ralph on the front whereas I know loads of people who do hence tyres being a personal thing.

7  - 6 January 2012 18:56

Heard some off forum comments of running a 1.8/ 2.1  ron combo but didnt get which way round to run them to make the most of them?
Any ideas? (apologies if it seems a daft question!!!)

Mark Price
Hope XC 2010 4th O/A Wk-end warrior
Dyfi Enduro 2010 53rd O/A
Mids XC Rd3 2010 12th open
8  - 6 January 2012 22:08

"The XKing still hasn't sealed properly (I put it on in July I think) and still has stans solution seeping from the sidewalls"

Yes I have had trouble with some Cinti's tyres, that some of the riders I look after where using. (something to do with to much silcone to help release the tyre from the mould)
The stan sealant wasn't sticking to the inside, (leaving a white skin so to speak) so after a bit of testing I found it was best to wipe/rub the inside of the tyre with a rag and Dot 5 brake fluid, then clean the inside with brake cleaner and a new rag. (think I even washed it with soapy water as well)

Then put an extra scope of stans and inflate,hopefully you notice it is better but you still need to inflate higher than normal running pressure and go for a quick spin, it should settle down after 2/3 rides (so might be worth taking a pump with you just in case it goes a little soft)

Also be worth checking the sealant level after 5 or so rides just to make sure there is some in the tyre and also to check if the sealant (white skin) has stuck to the inside of the tyre and if that happens all should be OK!

9  - 7 January 2012 07:46
MarkyP wrote:

Heard some off forum comments of running a 1.8/ 2.1  ron combo but didnt get which way round to run them to make the most of them?

Hi i'd be running 1.8 on the back & 2.1 on the front, bigger tyre on the front more grip, take the hits etc but i wouldnt go as small as a 1.8 though TBH

10  - 9 January 2012 15:30

On my 26" Stumpy hardtail I use 2.1 Ron/Raplh combo, expensive but worth the money.
If you're a decent bike handler you can run them in the wet as well, I rode with them in the slop at Margham Park 2 years ago (2009) with no more drama than people with mud tyres on

Rich Long
Team Certini - McCaulay's
2010 Bontrager 24/12 24hr Solo 5th
2012 Bontrager 24/12 12hr Solo 2nd
11  - 9 January 2012 15:46

I used Rons last year (2.25) but only lasted 2 races before each tyre got sliced??  luckily i was using tubes and the tyres stayed up.  If i was using no tubes then race would have been over.
I am using 2.2 X-Kings Black Chilli compound at the moment front and back.  Have had no problems with grip on the front but have slipped out on the back over damp roots a few times.

From what i have read and heard, the X-Kings are a pain to seal tubeless but Rons are ok.

I still havent made my mind up yet to be honest lol.

12  - 1 March 2012 19:32

I'm chuffed to hear that it's not just me having a nightmare getting the xkings to seal! I tried the advise above (scrubbing the inside of the tyre) and it is still only marginally better. I was about to admit defeat before i read this thread. I can barely get 25psi in before sealent starts p***ing out the sidewalls. And they're flat within 2 minutes of riding. Any more advise? Ps they've sealed really well against the rim.

13  - 2 March 2012 13:22

Try leaving them sideways on a bucket so the sealant lies against the sidewall overnight. This may help as it worked for me with my Conti Twisters.

Mike Moore - LFCC

29th Expert - National XC1
14  - 2 March 2012 13:23

Decided to try and go tubeless on my spare wheels using the x-king rs tyres black chilli compound.
Been trying to seal them now for two weeks and still one of them is fully flat by morning and other lost half pressure!
Have tried everything I can think of.  Glad these are not my race tyres.
The sealant just wont stop seeping through the walls no matter what I do.
Think it's best to run these tyres tubed only use schwalbe tyres tubeless or specialized tyres as these makes seem to seal really well while still being light in weight

Last edited by o-range (2 March 2012 13:24)

15  - 2 March 2012 16:50

dose anyone use a nobby nic on the front?i do in damp or wet muddy races and i fine thay grip alot better than a ron and thay dont feel like thay drag any more than a ron(on the front that is)but never see anyone else with them.any one no y this is?

16  - 2 March 2012 17:54

I used to, nobby nic on the front, still quite tempted to return to racing ralph nobby nic combo, a good leave the tyres alone all year set up. Am quite happy with a tyre with less tread up front but then when it does get muddy it's nice to have the extra bite.

17  - 2 March 2012 20:49

yer thats the set up i run 2.1 front nic 28-30 psi and 2.1 ralph on the back with 30-35psi

18  - 3 March 2012 10:42

I run bobby nic 2.1 front and back on the training bike but on the race bike racing ralph 2.1 front and renegade 1.9 rear. 
Normal xc around my area is fairly muddy this time of year and the nics do a good job.  But for the race bike, I haven't found the need for any more than Ralph's as the circuits are always fairly good and drained.

19  - 8 March 2012 10:10

Ron 2.25 front for cornering grip and Ralph 2.1 back for speed. Sometimes use a Ron 2.1 on the back if there are slippy climbs.

20  - 8 April 2012 14:08

I have just taken a pair of Rapid Rob's off my race bike and replaced with Nobby Nick on the front and Racing Ralph on the back, with Stan's No-Tubes kit.

Have yet to take it out to see how it performs...

21  - 10 April 2012 12:29

Had a lot of trouble trying to seal a  Conti race-king last year on stans. Took quite a few days of persistence but got there eventually after washing the tyre and following stans video guide over and over again. Only got to ride it a handful of times on the rear before slicing a nice hole in the side of it.
I tried 2.25 Rons front and rear last season but found them quite draggy, so switched the rear to the 2.2 race-king which helped a lot. Plan to race with a 2.25 Ron up front and am trying out a 2.25 Ralph on the rear this year.
I should also mention that i got a small hole in the tread of the Ron last year that didn't seal. Rides fine with a tube though.

22  - 1 April 2016 10:46

It was pretty dry for most of my races though, and I'd definitely still opt for the Rons in wet & muddy conditions (or at least go for the classic grippy front, slick rear combo).
No probs with durability here (including the Kielder 100 on standard Ralphs), though what I would say is that the new Pacestar Schwalbe tyres are a real bugger to get over the rim!

Last edited by hnoor0033 (19 April 2016 11:43)

Posts [ 22 ]

You must login or register to post a reply

Advertise your business/event here »

What's New In The Shop:

Sram XX1 Hollow Pin 11 Speed 252g

Sram XX1 Hollow Pin 11 Speed 252g

XCRACER FORUM LATEST

S-works XC tyres

by billyhedge
1 Reply 487 Views Last post: 29 March 2019 16:36 by ramsonroni

Battle on the beach entry

by slickster146